Over the course of the last few weeks, in my role as local MP for Camborne, Redruth and Hayle, and as Environment Secretary, have received a large amount of correspondence relating to the matter of vulnerable people being able to access the supplies that they need.
From Supermarkets large and small to food redistribution charities #FoodHeroes from across the nation are carrying out vital work to ensure vulnerable people can safely access essential food delivery services. Listed below you'll find a summary of how some retailers and local redistribution charities are working together to support vulnerable people.
Local Charities and redistribution centres (More on Graphic below):
- Volunteer Cornwall - Volunteer Cornwall are offering a service for people who have needs and cannot get help elsewhere. You can request further information at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Baker Toms - Providing deliveries in Cornwall. Contact 01209218989 for further information
- Crib Stop, Camborne - Deliveries can be made via phone at 01209715900.
- Iceland, Redruth - Elderly shopping from 8am to 10am on Wednesday. Online orders taken, 01209210982 for further information.
- Jen's Diner (Redruth) - Free Food Deliveries, contact 01209212477.
- Praze Village Shop (Camborne) - Offering support in Praze area as much as possible.
- Amber Cabs - For elderly locals who are self-isolating, prescriptions, small shops pick up or dropping to houses. Call 01209831199 or 07787998084
- Tesco - We’re donating a £30m package of support to our charity partners, including a £25m food donation programme to the Trussell Trust and Fare Share UK over the next 12 weeks, and an extra £2m to the British Red Cross to help those in need. Because now more than ever, #EveryLittleHelps.
- The Co-op - Want to be a #LocalHero? Or do you need some support? We've launched Co-operate, our online community platform, that connects you to local and national organisations as well as volunteers so that you can get and give support, during the crisis. https://co-operate.coop.co.uk - We're teaming up with National Emergencies Trust who are raising funds to support people most affected by coronavirus. Learn more & donate today at https://coop.uk/3aGE7yY
- The Trussell Trust - During this challenging time, food banks in the Trussell Trust network need your help to continue to provide essential community services to people in crisis. By volunteering for your food bank and being a voice for change in your community, you can make a real difference to people’s lives. We’ve just launched a new volunteer system with Assemble. Please click the button below to find out more and sign up to opportunities where you live. If there aren’t any results in your immediate area please consider extending the search area if you are able to support a little bit further away. Your nearest food bank might also be an independent food bank, details of which can be found here. Thank you!
- Morrisons - Our Doorstep Delivery service gives the elderly, vulnerable and shielded the opportunity to call us, place an order for essential groceries and have them delivered to their doorstep by their local store colleagues. Find more details on how to order here: https://my.morrisons.com/doorstep-deliveries/
- Sainsbury's - NHS and Social Workers are able to shop in Sainsbury's supermarkets from 07.30-08.00 Monday to Saturday before stores open. Anyone with NHS ID will be able to shop at this time. In addition to this, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday all of Sainsbury's supermarkets will dedicate 08.00-09.00 to serving elderly customers, disabled customers and carers. The Supermarket is also providing priority online delivery slots for elderly, disabled and vulnerable customers.
- ASDA - Earlier this month Asda launched their a dedicated Volunteer Shopping Card to help the many people self-isolating and unable to go out to buy their shopping. Customers are able to buy these shopping cards online, top up and give to their family member, friend or NHS volunteer to pay for their shopping without the hassle of using cash or bank cards. This also promotes a contactless way of shopping for reducing risk to vulnerable customers. You can buy a crd at ASDA.com/volunteercard. Alongside this, Asda have also been working with DEFRA and other fellow supermarkets to understand how to ensure essentials reach those with no support network. They're continuing to email these customers to offer first access to delivery slots, ensuring they get what they need while they stay safe at home. Home shopping and delivery slots have been increased and more are continuing to be added and there are other measures which you can read more about at: https://corporate.asda.com/20200403/an-update-from-our-ceo-roger-burnle…
- Marks and Spencer - We know that for some customers, arranging payment for shopping can be a challenge right now. We’ve launched the We're All in this Together E-Gift Card for any self-isolating customers, or their friends and family, to purchase online. Find out more here: https://bit.ly/39HBTxX
- Aldi Stores UK - We have launched the Aldi Food Parcel, full of all your essentials. It’s a great shopping solution for vulnerable people and those who are self-isolating. Available online only for £24.99. https://bit.ly/2KaISVQ
The information listed above is by no means an exhaustive list of what's being done. There are many many more businesses and charities that are working together to help vulnerable people. From localised charities including post offices and village shops to other major stores. Thank you to everyone who has helped so far, and please remember the Government's guidance that everyone should continue to Stay at Home, Protect Lives, Save the NHS